- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and turmeric and cook until the onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, carrot and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to turn pink, about 1 minute. Add the rice, 2 cups water and 1/2 tablespoon parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the peas and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon parsley. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice mixture with a fork and incorporate the peas and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with hot sauce.