- 2 pounds littleneck clams (about 24), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fully cooked chorizo sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 leek (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- Put the clams in a large pot or Dutch oven with 1 cup water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the clams start opening, about 5 minutes; as the clams open, transfer them to a bowl using tongs. (Discard any unopened clams.) Add the cooking liquid to the bowl with the clams (strain through a paper towel-lined sieve if sandy). Cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the pot clean and reduce the heat to medium. Add the olive oil and chorizo. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the leek, bell pepper, garlic and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the rice; cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and 1 cup water; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, puree the parsley with 1/3 cup water in a blender until smooth. Stir the lima beans, parsley puree, and the clams and their juices into the rice mixture. Cook until the lima beans are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.